Monday, August 4, 2008

Wedding Photographers in HK...

After reading an "article" from one of my best mentor Lawrence, I can't agree more with what he said about wedding photographers in Hong Kong. By no means I'm trying to comment on the 前輩's behaviors because I'm not in the field long enough to make comments, but personally, after reading what Lawrence said, I'm really sadden on the selfishness of some of the wedding photographers in HK.

I understand sometime people thinks 同行如敵國 but does this mean you can defame your competitors to raise yourself? Isn't this too naive and nonconstructive to the industry? Within couple of hours after Lawrence posted the article, there were over 10 people posted supportive comments and most of them are Lawrence's direct competitors...this is a good indicator in Lawrence's status amongst his peers.

I still remember when I "started" photography just over 2 years ago, I was just a guy who does not know the difference between aperture and shutter (for some...I still don't know the difference, but this is another story), I've asked Lawrence so many questions so many times, he still tried his best to answer each and everyone of them and from what I've learnt so far, every answers he gave were unbiased and the whole truth. I guess I was very lucky that I've met many 前輩 like Lawrence, so I was able to learn from the best and don't have to waste too much time 遊花園.

I think in order for Hong Kong Wedding Photography to thrive we need more real 前輩 like Lawrence who is willing to teach the new comers and competitors whole-heartedly as well as promote healthy competitons amongst peers to stimulate and encourage more people to try new things out of the "typical square" that most of us confined ourselves in.

No comments: