Friday, March 27, 2009

My Partners - Partners that never say no!

Recently, one of the photographer I usually work with had his worst wedding in 7 years. Worst wedding not because the couple dislike his photos, but it was purely because they disliked the camera brand he was using, reason being they work for the competition brand.

From my point of view, the couple certainly have the rights to express their loyalty to the company they are working for, however, they should have communicated to the photographer before the wedding so they can make necessary arrangements to avoid such "embarrassment".

In many online forums, people tend to class others that uses top of the range equipments as "professionals" and they believe by having the top of the range equipments they can take professional photos....I'm not trying to argue whether this is right or wrong, but I have to say, in a given situation, if you have better equipments it does allow you to have a greater varieties of shots...however, this does not mean you can take great photos if you have top of the range equipments!

Think about it this way...photographers 20 years ago don't have fast focusing lenses, instant photos review and/or photo editing softwares, but does this mean they didn't take great photos...certainly not, actually, I feel photos taken in the "older" days are much better since they are more thoroughly thought through before the shutter was pressed, unlike digital photographers now-a-days where we (yes, including myself.... =P) presses the shutter non-stop and later hope that we've got the shots we wanted.

Personally, I believe good photography is how to capture "moments" and how to make ordinary day to day people feel relaxed in front of the camera. Good photographers can capture "moments" and make ordinary people feel relaxed regardless of the brand of camera they are using, just like Lawrence Tsang.

I have to admit though, different brand does give different colour tones and people do have some bias toward tones given by a specific camera brand...that's why I like to take this opportunity to let you know that I uses NIKON!

For the ones who are even interested in what Nikon equipments I use, the following is the list of my working partners...partners that will never say no or let me down!

Body:
Nikon D3 (Digital)
Nikon D200 (Digital - Modified for Infrared Photography)
Nikon F5 (Film)

Lenses:
Nikkor 14 - 24mm f/2.8 AF-S
Nikkor 24 - 70mm f/2.8 AF-S
Nikkor 70 - 200mm f/2.8 AF-S
Nikkor 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye
Nikkor 28mm f/1.4
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
Nikkor 85mm f/1.4
Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AF-S Micro
Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF-S
Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Others:
SB-900
SB-800
SD-8A


Ironically, the photo was taken with a Canon! hahaha

No comments: